Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ribes malvaceum - from a cutting


We planted this Ribes malvaceum in our front yard where we had cut down a diseased, misplaced camelia. I wanted a Ribes sanguineum glutinosum, the one native to this area, but this is what I had. And since this is a rental, this is what the front yard got.


Ribes are hardy, fast-growing plants. I grew this ribes from a cutting I took a little over a year ago. I planted it from a one gallon in March at about 10 in tall. And it's now almost up to my chest. These things grow fast. And have beautiful hanging flower sprays in the spring.
Pete from East Bay Wilds has a good pic of the blooms on flickr.

5 comments:

  1. If this spot is as sunny as it looks, Ribes malvaceum is probably a better choice anyway. Looks like a great, healthy plant you've got there! Can't wait to see the flowers in the spring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are looking good here. Can expect some pretty blooms soon, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully you'll be around in the spring to see this bloom. It's good to know that they're easy to propagate. I should try a cutting from one of our local ribes species.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope yours flowers...mine never did & I had to pull it out (and pot it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It flowered in the pot this January. I hope it does flower. Did you stop watering it and let it go deciduous. Someone told me that might make a difference.

    ReplyDelete