Sunday, October 18, 2009

Native Fall Planting

As I mentioned in a previous post, right before our torrential downpour last week, I decided to move some plants and get some new ones in the ground. All of them weathered the storm well. Almost 4 inches of rain in a 24-hour period. Highly unusual for us, especially in October. But everything old and new got a nice thorough soaking.

First off were 5 (3 in pic) native columbine (Aquilegia formosa) grown from seed from the very prolific plants in my backyard. I planted them under a huge camelia by our front door. There are several other volunteer seedlings awaiting a new home.

In that same area, I repotted the yerba buena (Satureja douglasii) I had in the back and moved it to the front steps. It's looking a little bedraggled at the moment, but once it fills out I think it will help to distract people from the hideous brick red and dark grey paint of our house's exterior. The yerba buena roots as it crawls, so there were 3 separate rooted plants in back I cut off this main one. I dug up the smallest to repot in a one-gallon to start the whole process again. Also in this pic you can see one of the columbines in the bottom right.

Along the path from the drive way to the front steps I planted 3 douglas iris I bought at a plant sale at the Watershed Nursery. I can't wait to see them this spring.

And then on to the hellstrip. The mint we threw there to see if anything would survive started to escape from its little concrete strip, so I dug out as much as I could, though I'm sure there will be more to dig out later. Then in went three California fuchsia I saved from a garden I do maintenance on and paprika yarrow divided from the three plants I took out to plant the irises. Unfortunately the reds of the yarrow and CA fuchsia will probably clash, but it's a hellstrip that had nothing but dead weeds a year ago, so I'll take what I can get.

So these pics are not so exciting, it's more the promise of what they'll look like next spring and summer, but here's a pic of the California fuchsia (Epilobium canum) planted in March from the main part of the front yard a few days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment