Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ribes sanguineum

I had a late cancellation for work today, so I decided to go up to the hills with my camera and take some pictures.  It was a beautiful day after some rain this morning.
I decided on Huckleberry Botanic Regional Preserve because I wanted to see some Ribes sanguineum in bloom and I was not disappointed.  This one was right at the parking lot/entrance.
There were several in flower throughout the preserve.  And also several budding out.  Some of the new leaves apparently come out of this flower like growth at the end of branches.
I was reminded why this is one of my favorite plants.  It was impossible to capture with my camera, but they have the most beautiful architecture.  They have a elegant and delicate structure.  If you look at the lighter colored leaves in the pics below, you can see one of the Ribes spreading out in its fashion.
 

6 comments:

  1. Ha! We are on the same wave length today. Just finished a post crowning Ribes malvaceum (and sanguineum) plant of the week. Their delicate structure isn't the most photogenic, but it makes it all the more breathtaking to come across one, doesn't it? Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, I came here right after visiting Christine above. My pot-bound Ribes sanguineum finally gets planted in the garden today! I bought the poor thing at a UC plant sale, but didn't have a spot figured out to plant it where it was fenced from the deer. Of course, I couldn't be patient, and wait to buy it when the garden was ready...noooooo, I had to have it now! So glad I purchased it though, and I can't wait for it to grow as large as the ones you found blooming in the Preserve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting flower, I love it's unusual shape. Isn't it great to be able to take off from work early and enjoy the outdoors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week is a real Ribes festival. I'm learning more than any book can teach. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. One of my favorite plants in one of my favorite parks.

    ReplyDelete